In the last few years I've run into a couple of cases where public holidays weren't occuring where they usually would, and even a case of a new public holidays happening. In this post we take a look at a Ruby gem that can help define when holidays occur.
A look at how we revitalised a long-languishing migration of our serialisation layer by diving into the feedback of the team and how they felt about the work so far.
Working through some gem upgrades, we came across a weird issue where the JSON gem was behaving differently than expected. Hijinks ensue.
Flakey tests can be the cause of many headaches. We recently weeded out some issues caused by uses of Timecop that weren't being cleaned up with the help of the library's safe mode feature.
I recently managed a migration from DelayedJob to Sidekiq and learned about a couple of Ruby gems that helped identify several potential issues with how we currently queued background jobs.
How we made a separate time and space for product-specific retros, the benefits we got from chatting to customer-facing folks regularly, and what we learned.